RULES FOR RUNNING IN THE DARK
Going night running? Here are some safety tips to think about when running in the dark:
- Wear a headlamp (or something like Knuckle Lights) and a reflective vest similar to this one from Nathan. Attach bright flashing lights to the front and the back of your vest for even greater visibility when running at night.
- Run roads with street lamps. Avoid running dark roads.
- Run with a buddy, or at least, a dog.
- Run familiar roads.
- Tell someone where you will be running and when you will be back.
- Carry pepper spray or mace, or some form of protection.
- Run with identification (RoadID even allows you to wear emergency information and contacts, too), some money and your cell phone.
- Lift your feet to avoid tripping and stumbling.
- Do not wear head phones at night. You need to stay alert when running in the dark by using your sense of hearing since your vision will be reduced.
- Obey Running Etiquette.