Hydrogel Products as an Effective Form of Preventing & Treating Skin Injuries

Hydrogel Products as an Effective Form of Preventing & Treating Skin Injuries

All of us try to take care of our skin on a daily basis. We follow daily routines such as putting on lotion, wear protective clothing and minimize exposure to the sun in order to maintain healthy skin. Healthy skin should be free of blemishes and slightly moist. The two divisions of the skin are the epidermis and dermis. Whereas the epidermis is the outermost layer first shield against cuts, blemishes, and injuries. The dermis is the layer below the epidermis that contains pain receptors and hair follicles.

When the epidermis is injured due to burns, blisters, chafing, or stings; bacteria can enter, creating discomfort, swelling and pain.

Function and Benefits Hydrogel for wound healing

On a molecular level, hydrogels are three-dimensional networks of hydrophilic polymers. Depending on the type of hydrogel, they contain varying percentages of water, but do not altogether dissolve in water.

Hydrogels are permeable to water vapor, gases and small protein molecules, and protects from bacteria. The cooling element of the dressing provides a moist environment at the surface of the wound and this has been found to reduce pain in wounds. When pain is reduced, quality of life is improved (Hampton, 2004; Collins and Heron 2005).

2Toms® Skin on Skin® hydrogel is two-sided, colorless, transparent hydrogel formed around a supporting blue polyethylene matrix and contain approximately 90% water with the remaining 10% consisting of a mesh support. The skin’s properties for healing are enhanced by locking in moisture through the hydrogel’s skin-like properties.

Skin On Skin Pad

The Skin on Skin hydrogel moistens the wound and slightly and temporarily drops the temperature of the wound (Moody, 2006) thereby soothing painful tissues. The temperature then climbs to an optimum condition to promote wound healing.

Hydrogel may be placed directly onto the surface of an exudating wound and held in place with tape or a bandage, as appropriate. If additional absorbency is required, an absorbent pad may be placed immediately over the dressing.

Hydrogel can be cut to the shape of the wound if required. This ensures that the peri-wound area does not become macerated. Hydrogel also helps with pain reduction (Collins and Heron 2005; Hampton, 2004)

The cushioning effect protects the area from any further discomfort and minimizes additional rubbing or irritation on sensitive areas.

List of Benefits

  • reduces wound pain by cooling inflamed tissue and bathing nerve endings
  • dynamically responds to the wound environment to treat the underlying causes of pain
  • removing devitalized tissue by donating moisture to dry wounds and absorbing exudate from wet wounds
  • pain is managed throughout wear time – not just at dressing change
  • gentle even on the most fragile skin
  • effective under compression therapy

Benefits of hydrogel vs traditional bandages

In summary, hydrogel products are made from pure water to cool and soothe on contact. The moist comfortable barrier encourages healing while protecting injured skin. Hydrogel pads help protect against pressure, friction and blisters, and are highly absorbent, more than ordinary plasters.

  • Soothing and cooling and moisturizing
  • Non-irritant
  • Provides instant relief
  • Protects and cushions

benefits of hydrogel

Hydrogel vs Hydrocolloid

Hydrogel has flexible & thicker layer which helps to absorb forces released on skin.

  • Cushioning
  • Cooling
  • Pain relief
  • Advanced Moisture management
  • Variety of indications: Insect Bites, Wound healing, Blister protection

hydrocolloid vs hydrogel absorption of frictionhydrogel creates healthy moisture balance

2Toms Skin-On-Skin Dressing Kit and Skin-On-Skin gel pads offer relief from skin irritations such as blisters, chafing, burns, insect stings and other superficial skin injuries.* Learn more about these products here.

*Always consult a physician prior to administering self treatment.